Friday, May 24, 2013

Thankful for Little Heartbeats

Yesterday was an exciting day,
but not in a good way.
Today I find myself being extremely thankful.
 
I went to lunch with my mother yesterday, who asked if I'd been feeling if I'd been our little Addy moving a lot. A little startled, I told her no, that I hadn't been feeling her move and the last time I THOUGHT I felt her move was, maybe Friday or Saturday.  I asked if that was normal and she told me that she wasn't sure, maybe I should just call and ask the nurse.
 
So I called the Doctor's office. The receptionist told me she could put a message into the nurse. So I told her how far along I was, what was going on, the whole gist. After a minute she told me that she had put a message into the nurse high priority!
 
That pretty much freaked me out. I just wanted to ask the nurse a question, I wasn't expecting this "High Priority", which sounds totally alarming to me.
 
Anyways, she told me to expect a call pretty quickly. Well I got a call back ten minutes later, from the same woman, telling me the Mid-wife had seen the message and wants me to come on in as soon as I can after lunch.
 
Now I'm completely flipping, scared out of my mind. You don't' mean to go to worst case scenario, but being called into the doctor, out of the blue, when you just had a question, puts your emotions into high gear and worst case scenario front in your mind. 
 
Of course, God has blessed me with an awesome support group. My mom, being there with me when I got the call back, told me right then that she'd leave work and meet me there at the time I had to go in. Not only did my mom meet me there, but my dad left work, picked up my husband from the work site he was at, and they both met me there as well.
 
When we got back into the room, my mid-wife was easy breezy. I seriously love her, and would recommend her to anyone, because she just genuinely cares.  You can tell she absolutely loves her job. She calls the baby punkin, its so cute!
 
She put that little monitor to my tummy and found the baby's heartbeat within seconds. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried. After being completely freaked out about having to come in, hearing my baby girl's heartbeat going ninety-to-nothing, not to mention the little "thunks" proving that she is indeed moving around in there, was the sweetest sound I'd ever heard.
 
My doctor told me that my little Addy was still hanging pretty low around the pubic bones, lower than most babies who are this far along. Not that it was bad, just that she must like it down there, and since I have a longer torso Addy can still do that. She also told me, something I thought was totally cool, was that if I tried to push on my tummy to get her to move, or if daddy or Nana or pap (people She/I are around the most), then she is less likely to move. Because she knows us. She said if you put something like the monitor or a belt or sash on, its unfamiliar to her, and she'll kick it.
 
I can't even begin to express the feelings I felt yesterday. All I know is that I'm thankful for the little heartbeat that sounded in that room. My doctor, being the awesome lady that she is, let me record it so I could take it home, and gave me the option to keep my appointment coming up next week, just so I could go back and hear it and be reassured.
 
So thankful for my support group, for a doctor who genuinely cares, for a God who is always there, and for the little heartbeat inside my tummy. It is amazing how you can love someone so much already, and you haven't even met them yet.
 


2 comments:

  1. My Doctor told me since I moved around a lot it probably "rocked" her to sleep. At night when I slept she would kick like crazy and I couldn't feel it but David could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Thank God everything is alright!!

    ReplyDelete