Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Grocery Shopping Time

I don't know about the rest of you,
but I was so not ready for the weekend to end!
I was enjoying hanging out with friends,
spending time with my husband,
and doing a little bit of nothing here and there.
 
However, all good things must come to an end,
and the work week is here once more.
With it comes the menu making and grocery shopping.
 
Initially, I was making a menu/ grocery list for every two weeks.
However, we got all kind of thrown off when my husband started his new job,
and began getting paid opposite weeks of me.
Since then we've just been buying weekly,
and I'm finding I like it a whole lot better.
 
So grocery shopping every week isn't fun,
but It keeps me from wanting to pull my hair out,
and I feel like we are saving money.
 
I'm not shopping expert by no means,
and coupons are totally beyond me, though I do try to look for some.
However, I say I feel like we are saving for a couple of reasons...
 
1. I look for sales at Publix
Publix has a lot of "Buy 1 Get 1" and "2 for $5 or $6" sales.
I try to pay close attention to those when I'm planning my menu.
Sometimes I don't find the things I need on sale,
And sometimes all I buy is sale items.
This way I have double.
For example, last week they had fish sticks on sale B1G1.
I planned fish sticks as one of our Fast & Easy Wednesday meals because of church.
I only plan my menu's until Sunday, because generally I will go shopping on Monday.
Since yesterday was a Holiday, grocery shopping wasn't in the plan.
So what did we do for lunch?
We ate the second pack of those fish sticks #Save!
 
2. I Plan Dinners for Every Night of the Current Week
A lot of times, we will get invited over to my parents,
and I'll just bring a side dish.
Then there are times we will go out during the weekend for dinner.
Which means, there were one or two meals that I planned that wasn't cooked.
When this happens, I can generally push these meals over into the next week,
and that means less to buy for the next shopping trip. #Save!
 
3. I TRY to Plan for Lunches
Since my husband is now at a job where he has to pack a lunch every day,
I try to plan some kind of lunch/snack combo for him and for myself.
This way we aren't eating out every day or every other day.
Eating out, even though I enjoy it, gets pricey.
So a few weeks ago I bought a big pack of crackers (we still have a lot left over),
and made a big bowl of tuna for the week.
This way he could dip out of it over the next four or five days.
As a back up I had his favorite lunch meat, just in case he wanted to change it up.
I buy a big bag of the To-Go chips, (they last about 2 weeks).
Then if some snack items are on sale, I'll get those.
For example, last week Publix had the To-Go Applesauce packs on sale 3 for five or six dollars.
I bought those, and we still have some for this week.
I plan some lunches for me, like the Veggies steamers and such,
but because of where I work, I can take left overs from dinner the previous night,
if I want, and can warm it up.
So again... #Save!
 
Some people probably argue that I'm not actually saving.
And to that I'll just have to say its a matter of opinion
 
Here's what My Menus and Grocery List look like this week!
 


DINNER
 
Tuesday
Grilled pork chops (took them out to thaw yesterday)
Mashed Potatoes (pretty sure I still have some at home)
Green Beans (fresh from our garden that we picked, blanched, and bagged yesterday)
 
What I need to Buy:
Not a thing, unless I need some new potatoes
 
Wednesday
Pizza
 
What I need to Buy:
Nothing, I bought it last week,
and we didn't eat it
 
Thursday
Spaghetti
(We are having friends over, and this stuff goes a long way)
 
What I need to Buy
A little extra Ground Beef
Pasta Noodles (B1G1 at Publix, which takes care of two meals)
Mushrooms
Bell Pepper
1 small can of Spaghetti sauce (I bought a big can last week, that I didn't have to use)
 
Friday
Chicken and Spinach Pasta Bake
 
What I need to Buy:
Rigatoni (Again pasta is B1G1 at Publix)
Philly Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
Mozzarella (Maybe... I think I have some at home already)
 
Saturday
Ribs
Mac & Cheese
Field Peas
 
What I need to Buy:
Nothing, I already have it all from a couple of previous shopping trips
and missed meals
 
Sunday
BBQ Meatballs
Rice
Lima Beans
 
What I need to Buy:
Meatballs (B1G1 at Publix = 2 meals)
 
That is it for Dinner.
 
The rest of the items on my grocery list either are things for lunches and snack or
household items that need replenishing (zip lock bags, toilet paper, etc.)
 
I am actually pretty proud of myself on my menu planning.
My mom told me I should put one together for her,
and I actually might, once I find out what kind of meat they have/buy.
I generally plan my meals around what meat I have already on hand.
 
What does your Menu and Shopping list look like?
Let me know if you have any dinner ideas! :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I feel like everytime I go to the grocery store, I am not saving. But you have to eat and when you have a picky eater of a husband, you buy what you can. I will say, I am soooo much better at picking up produce items now.

    ReplyDelete