Tuesday, November 20, 2012

You Aren't Anything Less Than Perfect...

Hello everyone! It's Tuesday, which this week would actually be our Thursday, because tomorrow is the last work day of this week, which means tomorrow is Friday on a Wednesday! 
 
Did you guys get any of that?!? LOL
 
Anyways, I hope everyone is having a great week! Today I was driving to work, after dropping my husband off first, and I started singing the first song that popped into my head; Freakin' Perfect by Pink (The edited version lol). As soon as I started singing it, I knew that my blog would be focused around this song.

Pretty, pretty please
Don't you ever, ever feel
Like your less than perfect.
Pretty, pretty please
If you ever, ever feel
Like your nothing
You're perfect to me.
 
As most of you know, (because I rant about it all the flippin' time), I'm having to do a research paper in my Methods of Sociology class. The research I chose was on Body Image and how it affects women differently (between race: African American Women VS Caucasian Women, and Between differing sexual identity: so heterosexual VS homosexual). Why did I choose such a topic, you ask? Because I feel as if it's a personal subject and tends to hit home with "Rebekah" more times than not.
 
Ever heard the phrase, "YOU are your own worst critic"? Well, it's absolutely TRUE. We women (men too, but mostly women) somehow connect our "self-image" with how we view our bodies. If we don't like something about our bodies, if we weigh a certain amount, if our BMI is higher than what we like, if we think our nose is too big or our legs are too jiggly, then it somehow affects us in such ways that our confidence drops and we somehow feel as if we can't do something because of it or we just won't because we feel like we are being critiqued on our body.
 
Note* I'm not saying everyone has this problem, but just about every woman that I know personally seems to.
 
I know that being thin and "bodily perfection" is the new thing, and It feels like it's the only thing that matters to ourselves and to men (like no matter how much they love you sometimes, they would still rather you have "that" look, though they would never say it). Of course, that could totally just be me and my thinking, but I feel as if it all boils down to that. I am, honestly, tired of comparing myself because I think that someone "would rather" me look like this. (I know I'm being transparent, but I kind of feel it's necessary at the moment).
 
I want to feel good about me.
 I want those around me to feel good about them.
No matter the shape.
No matter the size.
You're beautifully unique...
 
With that said, there are a few things I want to say to some people...
 
Mom:
You're perfect. I remember growing up and thinking how beautiful my mommy was. I still think that. It wasn't just in a particular size or shape of your body, but it was because you were the one who kissed my boo boos and held me while I cried, because I felt so alone. It was because you loved me, despite my mess ups , despite how ugly and fat I thought I was growing up; you still told me how beautiful I was. You were so strong and courageous. I'm realizing just how much of that you really had now that I'm married and on my own. You followed daddy anywhere, even when it took you away from your comfort zone. You made hard decisions and ran a daycare for 12 years, I think. It may not seem like much to you and you may not see yourself as much, but I think you are an amazing person. You are the standard I hold myself to as a wife and mother. It wasn't ever easy (and still isn't), but you made it work and will continue to make it work, because that is just how you are. To me, mom, you are perfect.
 
Sister:
You're perfect. I've grown up under you, and know you probably better than anyone (though our mom and your husband give me a run for my money). I know just about every one of your insecurities, like you do mine. It's funny, though, because I have honestly never seen what you see. I've always thought you were beautiful. I've always thought you were amazing. I mean, anything you set your mind too, you can do it, and you aren't afraid to try it and mess up. You hate to mess up, but you will at least try. I've always wanted your courage. I've always wanted your talent. I always seen beauty where you saw none. And I couldn't count how many times I've thought about how I wish I was more like you. You don't see it, what I see, but to me, you are perfect, bister.
 
To All my Lady Friends:
You're perfect. What your physical form looks like doesn't really matter, not in my eyes. What I see is the love you guys have for people, the burdens you have and carry. the care and kindness you show; those things are a kind of beauty even the most "perfect" body can't come close to. Each one of you are beautiful in your own uniqueness. Do what makes you happy, what makes you feel good about yourself. If you are happy with yourself, don't change for anyone else. The only person you should please is you. To me, you guys are perfect.
 
To All My Fellow Bloggers:
You're perfect. I may not know all of you very well, but I know that some who read this may mentally battle the same things that I and others I know battle. I hope you know, that it isn't about the proportions of the body, the symmetry or size. Beauty is being happy with who you are and confident in yourself. Attitude is everything. The most "beautiful" people with ugliest attitudes aren't so beautiful after all. Love who you are, mind and body. Be comfortable with you, and if you aren't, change it. Not for anyone else, but for yourself only. To me, you guys are perfect.

 

 
Never change unless it is for yourself, and nobody else.
 
I love you all! XOXO
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, I just totally cried like a baby here in my office. I love you sis...and thanks for always being the confidence I need when mine is lacking. You are honest to God the best sister anyone could ever have...and the best friend.

    xoxo - Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I just love this. Read the whole thing. Made me smile, thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I hope it was just encouraging to you reading it as it was to me writing it! :)

      Delete
  3. So true. This post cheered me up after having a not so great day.

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. made my day hearing my blog post cheered you up! I'm Rebekah (obviously) lol. Thanks for the comment that totally.cheered me up as well!!

      Delete
  4. Hey! Do you have an email address? I keep trying to reply to your sweet comments but you come up as a "no-reply" blogger. I can definitely help you with this! If you email me, I can help! My email is karlasypek@gmail.com =) Someone had to show me how to do this a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd help you as well! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just emailed you! LOL. I didn't even know I had a 'no-reply' thing on there... Obviously I'm still trying to learn this thing haha!

      Delete