Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Timing is Everything....


                                                                                     Source: marthastewart.com via Priscila on Pinterest

Lately, I 've been feeling so overwhelmed. There have been so many changes recently (not that they are bad changes), but I've still felt as if it has me running in a million directions at the same time. I actually thought that cutting myself back to taking only two classes at my local university would make things a little less stressful, but of course, I would end up taking two classes that will kick my tail all on their own. My husband and I have also taken over a young adult class (which I'm so excited about), but it also means making time to prepare for it: studying, praying, researching ideas, and communicating with each ther. Then their are the random extras such as skate nights, bible studies, visits to grandparents and great aunts, birthdays, grocery shopping, etc. There is worship practice an hour before each service (I'm so thankful for our worship leader and our worship team. They are an amazing group). Of course, I have to make time for homework and studying and preparing for class. Then on top of all of that, there are the lifestyle changes my husband and I have started. For example, making sure we are working out at least three times a week. There is no time in the afternoons to do this. Therefore, that means a 5 a.m alarm so we can be at the gym no later than six, and make sure we get Wade (my hubby) to work by 7:30.

Obviously we have been having slam-packed days... So now I need to learn how to organize and prioritize better. I've always tried to keep a personal calendar handy in my purse for school and such, but it mostly contained vague homework due dates and unecessary church times. I've been going to church for years, but for some reason I still pencil it in ha-ha! Lately, I've realized that I need to start getting a little more detailed in my scheduling, and I've also decided I need to start making goals for each day. This way, I will get those important things done on the days they need to be done, and maybe even get my secondary and maybe (being hopeful) my post secondary goals done. So I decided to look up ways to prioritize, and begin applying it my life (or at least attempting to). I figured if I can make myself get up at 5 a.m three days a week (Extremely difficult for someone who use to believe getting up that early was a sin), then I can start scheduling my time a little more proficiently.

To start off on learning a better way to prioritize I went to none other than...GOOGLE! If I ever want to learn something or research something, Google is my best friend LOL. So onto google I went and began looking up ways to better organize my time. I came across this website that mentioned prioritizing your life and making goals for yourself. Their recommendation. Make A, B, and C goals for yourself each day, A being the most importat and C being those things you would like to do, but it isn't mandatory to get done today.The idea is to be realistic. Have yourself three A goals, two B goals and one C goal. Go ahead and tell yourself that all of these are not set in stone and leave your goals flexible. You want to have times for those little extra things like cooking, dusting, etc. that isn't on your list. For example, this is what my goals looked like the first day I put this into action...


A
. -Read my Bible
 -Work on Method's notes
-Finish Macro-Economics Homework
 
 
B
-Look up games for Fall Festival
-Ideas for Young Adults class
 
 
C
-Brown Hamburger meat for dinner tomorrow night
 
 
Using this method I got all three of my A goals accomplished and one of my B goals. To me that was a good bit. And it was nice because I had skate night on that very day, so I wasn't rushed to finish up my homework or whatever before I left or once I got home (which wasn't until after nine o'clock that night). I definitely want to continue to do this. It has been helping me the last few days get things accomplished that normally I would have put off until the last second and then would have been even more stressed out. If you are feeling overwhelmed, make you a few set of goals that you ABSOLUTELY WANT to get done that specific day and a few secondary goals and one optional goal. This will definitely help. Crossing off the goals on that piece of paper is my favorite part and so very rewarding!
 


1 comment:

  1. Wow that is a really good idea. I've been thinking about the best way to try and organize my life, my schdeule, my kids schedules, and the church schedule so I've been in the same boat but this on a personal level would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete