Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Heroes...

I remember growing up, and watching these movies that have awesome hero, who at the very end saves the day. It was great, and left me with a great feeling. Even now I love a good movie that has this man/woman that fights through these extremely hard situation, and still manages to win the battle or save the world (whatever). However, it isn't the heroes of a movie that truly captures my attention anymore. My heroes aren't fictional. They fight realistic battles, cry real tears, and their laugh is genuine. They don't wear stage makeup or stand in the spot light. That doesn't make them any less heroic, though.

As a child, I watched my parents. They weren't perfect. They weren't rich. They couldn't fight like Chuck Norris or sing like Whitney Houston. They didn't have a huge, fancy home or expensive cars. They couldn't buy me all the toys that I wanted. However, they gave me things that none of those factors put together could have given me.

When I hit my teen years, I had a better understanding of life. I began to understand fianances and obligations. I seen the work that was put in for the job, home, and church take it toll. And there were some days I wasn't sure why they continued to take on all that they did. Why did they give money in an offering that they didn't have? Why did he mow the church lawn when he was exhausted? Why did my mom follow my father wherever he went, when it wasn't something she wanted? Through the mind of a child, everything is black and white. If you don't have money, you don't give what little bit you have away. If you are tired, you don't go mow the lawn. Things aren't they black and white, though. They were not just man and woman. They were husband and wife to each other, parents to their children, pastors to a church, employee/employers to a business. Until I became an adult, I realized that the movie heroes were nothing compared to my parents.

My parents fought real battles. They made hard decisions, and had real consequences to face. They raised three kids, when in all logic they shouldn't have been able to afford us. They loved us, and instilled things inside of us that continue to live on through us to this day. My dad would come home and play with us after a long day at work. My mom cooked supper, paid bills, cleaned the house, and kept nice clothes on our backs. There wasn't always enough money, and not every day was full of sunshine and smiles. But they made it through each day is it came and went.

Though, I would love to give them all the credit, I can't. Because I know now that it wasn't through just their own ability, but through the God they had inside them. The faith they had and still have amazes me. The money they gave, the time they spent, it wasn't for their glory, it was for God's. Through their humble hearts, and their desire to give, and their willingness to go,  God truly blessed them.

I remember being upset one day because dad kept putting money in an offering plate when he didn't hardly have any. I was almost mad at him for doing it. His words were "We've always had food on the table, a roof over our head, and clothes on our back". And he was right. There was never a time when we didn't have food to eat, a warm bed to sleep on, and clothes. God had kept us through it all.

I also remember when I was sixteen. I would stress out about asking my mom for gas money. I knew without question that she would give it to me, even if it was her last few dollars, but I always hated asking just in case it really was. She always told me, "baby, you have to have gas. We'll be fine". I wanted to ask her how we would be fine, but I already knew what her answer would be. I couldn't count to you the times I've heard, "God is faithful" or "God will provide" or "God will take care of us". It was repetitive, and some days I didn't want to hear about having faith. I wanted to hear that we won the lotto, or some rich uncle died and left us millions. As a married adult, I now realize the faith they had in Jesus, was greater than all the millions that could have been given to us. That faith in God kept us a happy familiy even in the bad times. That faith in God kept us safe in the worst of storms. That faith in God made us rich, not in money, but in love and in joy and in peace. Not saying it was easy, but we still made it.

The true heroes are the ones who carry that faith, use that faith, and show that faith. Thanks to my parents, I apply my faith in God to every aspect of my life as an adult. They taught me to be willing to give, to work, or to go when God speaks. I'm not rich. I have bills, and I definitely don't get paid a lot. However, all our bills are paid on time. My family is healthy. My car is still running and it hasn't run out of gas. I may not can get everything I want, but I have more than everything that I need. And that is truly something to be thankful for.

If you have parents like mine, then you have better heroes than any disney, universal, or paramount movie could create.

Thanks for all your love you gave and sacrifices you made!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! We are very privileged when it comes to "stress" or "worry" because we were raised to put our faith fully in His hands. I know many times I saw the fruits of my Daddy's faith and it made me put all my cares in God's hands too. I can only hope to raise my child the same way so one day she can say "Wow, my Mama had true faith"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is exactly how I feel. I didn't understand then, really. But having watched their faith in God, and how each time God provded and took care of it, made me realize how important it is to do the same thing. Giving is better than receiving. God see's the things no one else see's, and through your sincere giving can allow God to bless you. He blesses his people!

      Delete