Friday, June 14, 2013

Hobbies for Opposites

Ever hear the phrase, "Opposite Attract"?
I'm a believer that, in most cases, this is totally true.
 
My husband and I have a lot in common in some ways,
and then are polar opposites in others.
For example:
 
He enjoys gardening. Me... Not so much.
 
I enjoy reading. Him... Not at all.
 
He enjoys hunting in general. Me... I'm not a deer hunter.
I can't sit still that long. I could squirrel hunt, though.
 
I enjoy consignment shopping. Him...He's more of a Flea Market,
one-stop-shop kind of man.
 
I put the toilet paper on one way (the right way),
and he puts it on the other.
 
Trust me, the list could go on.
The one thing that we definitely have in common, is that we love to spend time with each other. It is just finding something that we both can enjoy doing together.
We tried to come up with something last night, and of course,
we both came up blank.
 
So I do what I always do when I'm coming up blank;
I Googled it.
 
These were the ideas that Google brought me to.
 
Geocaching
I just recently heard about this one, because some guy is always in our parking lot, supposedly doing this. I'm not sure how he has so much time on his hands that he does this on a daily basis and always ends up in our office parking lot. I digress. This is basically like one big scavenger hunt, using a GPS. I've only done a small amount of research on it, but basically you go and find these coordinates that take you to some landmark, or in some cases, something that was left in that specific spot, and then mark it saying you done it on your GPS. While I'm not one hundred percent sure I would be into this, it would be something different from the general, dinner/movie date. I'm willing to try something new, and who knows, maybe it will be something we both like.
 
Snorkeling.
I do actually enjoy doing this. I've done it twice, once just for fun at the springs down the road, and the second time I was scalloping. Both times I've loved it. This would be something cheap we could do. All we would need is to buy the gear, and then spend a few bucks going to wherever we want to snorkel.
 
Fishing
This is a given. I'm married to a country boy who loves to fish. I grew up with a fishing pole in my hand, so I don't mind it. Its not something I want to do constantly, but I always enjoy when I go with him. Not a big guy group, but with him. I think one reason I love going with him is because I get to see how much he enjoys it. He's such a hard worker, that I love watching him be able to do something that he loves and that relaxes him.
 
Collecting
My husband is pretty sentimental when it comes to things. He has a stamp collection that his dad (or someone) started that he refuses to get rid of. He has a whole box of baseball cards. He has the map coin collection (you know, the 50 states map that became big while we were kids?), with all 50 coins. I want to say that his dad collected coins as well and he has some of those. The only thing I've ever collected consistently was notes from my friends that we passed back and forth during the school days LOL. However, this could be something we could start and then include our children on it eventually. The time spent looking together would make it worth while.
 
Rock Climbing
I have never done this, and I'm not sure if he has or not or even if he would be interesting. But it came up in my Google search and intrigued me. I've always wanted to do the indoor rock climbing, especially after watching people do it on TV. Turns out there is one conveniently located near us. This may not be an all the time hobby, but maybe something once or twice a month, especially after Addison is born.
 
I haven't had the chance to discuss any of these with him,
so I have no idea if any of it is something he would be interested in or not...other than the fishing.
However, its worth a shot.
I want to find something we can do together, just the two of us.
We've found that we don't have much of a life outside of work and church.
Most evenings are spent at home cleaning for me, gardening for him, and watching TV.
So, obviously, we need something.
If you guys have any ideas on things that we can do together please let me know! 

2 comments:

  1. Ok seriously, why do men put the toilet paper on the wrong way? Im going with pure laziness! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend wants to try the geocaching thing too! I think it has the potential to be fun!

    ReplyDelete